Saturday, November 29, 2008

I have responsibility because I'm blessed

This year has brought many disappointments but still I wake up to a sun that shines in a beautiful city where I feel safe walking around.

I looked at my bank statement and see that there is plenty to pay the bills with, to buy food and to give some way so that others can eat.

Our house floorplan doesn't accommodate the personalities of Mr. MorningPrivatePlease and Mrs NightOpenHopitality but the mortgage is cheap and it's a good house.
There are no holes in the roof. Everything works. We almost lost it once, many years ago. It was God who gave it back to us. I long to move soon but I am so so thankful for this home.

I am middle aged and now over stuffing my clothes, with ripples replacing my curves - but I am healthy, strong, obviously well fed, and I do have clothes and shoes and coats and sweaters.
God has made me wealthy. As I look at my mother, I am hopeful that I will be strong and more beautiful as I age.

During this Thanksgiving weekend I will visit a friend who is living near poverty as she sits in a nursing home during recovery from hip replacement surgery at the young age of 53 and will be broken hearted to see that she is alone in the world with no husband or family caring for her. I will talk to another dear friend who is bedridden with stage 4 cancer threatening to steal her life before she's 65.

I will remember that time is running our for so many children who have no food or water again today; for so many children who have no clothes or shoes or school or even parents. There is never a day when I do not think of them, though I don't know them.
And as I remember them and pray for them, I am more than just Thankful for God's extreme abundance in my life - I am desperate to find a way to make a difference to those children who would love to trade anything to enjoy the worst day of my life.

To whom much is given, much is required.

Holy Spirit, help me do what is right with all these blessings.

No comments: